Professor Haibo Chen
- Position: Professor of Intelligent Transport Systems
- Email: H.Chen@its.leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 5355
- Location: Room 3.03, Institute for Transport Studies (34-40 University Road)
- Professor of Intelligent Transport Systems, Institute for Transport Studies (ITS), University of Leeds
- Honorary Professor, School of Traffic and Transportation, Beijing Jiaotong University
- Honorary Professor, School of Transportation, Southeast University
- Group Leader for Spatial Modelling and Dynamics, Institute for Transport Studies (ITS), University of Leeds
- Theme Leader for Connected and Shared Mobility, Institute for Transport Studies (ITS), University of Leeds
Key Research Interests
- Modelling and assessment of the disruption of emergency evacuation and network resilience
- City mobility and ICT solutions
- Evaluation of transport policy interventions and system dynamics
- Traffic induced air pollution episodes and personal exposure
- Environmental and health assessment of traffic management and transport policies
- Environmental justice
- Sustainable transport development in developing countries
- PhD, Neural Networks and Wavelet Transforms for Optical Currency Screening, University of Dundee
- Diploma in Management Engineering, Wuhan Railway Technology University (China)
- BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering, Central South University (China)
- International Advisor to the Chinese '111 Program', 'Development of Electric Vehicles and Applications', Beijing Institute of Technology, 2012-2017
- Management Committee, ESF COST Action 1102, 'ARTS: Towards Autonomic Road Transport Support Systems', 2011
- Council member of The Transport Systems Engineering Committee of the Systems Engineering Society of China, 2007
- Member of editorial advisory board for Journal of Transportation Systems Engineering and Information Technology, 2003
- Member of editorial advisory board for Journal of Railway Sci. & Eng., 2003
- Expert academic advisor to 'Energy Solution Program', WSP/HA, 2009-2010
- Expert academic advisor to the M42 Automatic Traffic Management project, Mott MacDonald/HA, 2004-2008
Research Projects and Experience
Conducted and managed a wide range of projects funded by various funding bodies including -
- Nanoparticle Emissions from The Transport Sector: Health and Policy Impacts (nPETS), €5.35m (€386,825 to ITS), 01/06/2021 - 31/05/2024, Principal Investigator (PI) at Leeds. https://www.npets-project.eu/.
- Modify Drivers’ behaviour to Adapt for Lower EmissionS (MODALES), €5.1m (€579,250 to ITS), 01/09/2019 - 31/08/2022, PI at Leeds. https://modales-project.eu/.
- Enhance driver behaviour and Public Acceptance of Connected and Autonomous vehicLes (PAsCAL), €4m (€526,250 to ITS), 01/06/2019 - 30/11/2022, PI at Leeds. https://www.pascal-project.eu/.
- Highways England Traffic Management Algorithm Review (HETMAR), Highways England, £147k, 01/05/2021 - 30/04/2022, PI.
- Electrified L-category Vehicles Integrated into Transport and Electricity Networks (ELVITEN), EU/H2020, €7.8m (€275k to ITS), 01/11/2017 - 31/10/2020, PI at Leeds. https://www.elviten-project.eu/en/.
- AUTOmated driving Progressed by Internet Of Things (AUTOPILOT), EU/H2020, €20m (€534k to ITS), 01/01/2017 - 31/12/2019, PI at Leeds. https://autopilot-project.eu/.
- Optimal fuel consumption with Predictive PowerTrain control and calibration for intelligent Truck (optiTruck), EU/H2020, €4.5m (€688k to ITS), 01/09/2016 - 31/08/2019, PI at Leeds. https://cordis.europa.eu/project/id/713788.
- Coordination of Automated Road Transport Deployment for Europe (CARTRE), EU/H2020, €3m (€176k to ITS with Yvonne Barnard), 01/10/2016 - 30/09/2018, Co-Investigator (Co-I).
- Field Operational Test Networking and Data Sharing Support (FOT-Net Data), EU/FP7, €1.4m (€179k to ITS with Yvonne Barnard), 01/01/2014 - 31/12/2016, PI at Leeds.
- International Coordination for implementation of innovative and efficient urban mobility solutions (Viajeo+), EU/FP7, €2m (€120k to ITS), 01/05/2013 - 30/04/2016, PI at Leeds.
- Field Operational Tests Networking and Methodology Promotion (FOT-Net 2), EU/FP7, €1.5m (€202k to ITS with Yvonne Barnard), 01/01/2011 - 31/12/2013, Co-I.
- Optimised Co-Modal Passenger Transport for Reducing Carbon Emissions (COMPASS), EU/FP7, €1.2m (€330k to ITS with Bryan Matthews), 2011-2014, Co-I.
- The Effective Use of Roads to Evacuate People from Flooding, Government Office, £70k (£20k to ITS), 2010-2011, PI.
- Energy Saving Technology Initiatives - Viable Alternative Lighting Schemes, HA, £20k, 2009-2010, PI.
- Mobile Environmental Sensing System Across Grid Environments (MESSAGE), EPSRC/DfT, £3.4m (£454k to ITS), 2006-2009, Co-I.
- Quantification of health impact of airborne particulates, Department of Health, £60k, 2008-2009, Co-I.
- Modelling and Simulation for e-Social Science (MOSES), ESRC, £575k (with Prof Mark Birkin etc), 2005-2008, Co-I.
- Intelcities - Intelligent Cities, EU/FP6 and Leicester City Council, £50k, 2005, PI.
- Module Lecturer and Leader, Principles of Transport Modelling (Masters), 2003-2011 (Module Leader from 2005)
- Module Lecturer and Leader, Transport and the Environment (2nd Year UG), 2010-present (Module Leader from 2012)
- Lecturer, Road Geometry & Infrastructure (Masters), 2011-present
- Module Lecturer and Leader, Foundation Skills
- Supervision of Masters dissertations
- Chris Leahy, passenger's behavioural responses to public transport network Reliability
- Chao Lu, Automated Planning in Intelligent Transport Systems
- Andrew Tomlinson, Intelligent Academic Timetables and Student Travel Needs
- Calvin Jephcote, Investigating the levels of deterioration in Human Health attributable to Road Transport
- Said Munir, An investigation into the characteristics and new trends of air pollutants (ozone) in the UK
- Janos Szabo, Extreme Value Modelling to Study Roadside Air Pollution Episodes
Research groups and institutes
- Spatial Modelling and Dynamics