Dr Hamish Jamson
- Position: Principal Research Fellow
- Email: A.H.Jamson@its.leeds.ac.uk
Key Research Interests
- Driving simulation, simulator development and validation
- Human factors
- Driver behaviour
- Driver distraction
- 2008 - 2015: Principal Research Fellow and Facility Manager, University of Leeds Driving Simulator, Institute for Transport Studies (ITS), University of Leeds (UoL).
- 2001 - 2008: Senior Research Fellow and Facility Manager, Leeds Advanced Driving Simulator (LADS), ITS, UoL.
- 1996 - 2001: Research Fellow, LADS, ITS, UoL.
- 1993 - 1996: Research Officer, LADS, ITS, UoL.
- 2011: PhD , Motion Cueing in Driving Simualtors for Research Applications, University of Leeds.
- 1992: MSc, Flight Dynamics, College of Aeronautics, Cranfield University.
- 1991: BEng (Honours), Mechanical Engineering, University of Sheffield.
- Scientific Committee Member for the International Driving Symposium on Human Factors in Driver Assessment, Training, and Vehicle Design (2005, 2007, 2009, 2011).
- Scientific Committee Member for the Driving Simulation Conference (2003, 2005, 2007).
- Member of International Driving Simulator User Group.
Research Projects and Experience
- In his 18 year experience, Hamish Jamson has worked on over 30 externally funded studies associated with driving simulator development, vehicle dynamics, driver performance, road safety and traffic engineering.
- His PhD is in the field of motion cueing and its role in driving simulator validity.
- He has led eight major research projects as Principal Investigator for both public and private sector clients, with a combined income of over £3.2m. The most significant of these being the development of the full motion University of Leeds Driving Simulator and its use in the Jaguar Land Rover co-funded project on virtual vehicle prototyping, Programme for Simulation Innovation.
- Having made a career change into commercial aviation in 2015, he currently works on a part-time contract and teaches on the Aerospace Technology with Pilot Studies degree programme.
<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://environment.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
Research groups and institutes
- Human Factors and Safety