- Position: Senior Research Fellow
- Areas of expertise: Transport Economics; Econometrics; Wider economic impacts; Public Transport
- Email: D.H.Johnson@its.leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 6607
- Location: Room 1.06, Institute for Transport Studies (34-40 University Road)
Research Projects and Experience
- Project Co-ordinator for SMaRTE an EU/Shift2Rail project investigating the scope for enhancements to the rail user experience and vehicle maintenance procedures.
- Working on XCYCLE, an EU project, appraising the value of on-bike safety enhancements
- Worked on NETIRAIL, an EU Project, looking at Wider Economic Impacts of small scale rail enhancements
- Worked on 'Buses and the Economy' project with DfT and Greener Journeys, examining at the link between bus provision, the labour market and productivity.
- Worked on SUSTRAIL, an EU project, evaluating the impact of rail vehicle and infrastructure improvements
- Worked on EPSRC's Sustainable Distribution project, developing a strategic freight model (LEFT) to test the impacts of various policy scenarios on costs and volumes of different modes.
- Design and analysis of Freight part of Department for Transport's M6 Toll Project
- Estimated regional productivity measures for use in appraisal of transport projects for Department for Transport
- Worked on the valuation of rail scarcity for the Office of Rail Regulation
- Developed a computer based implementation of aspects of the (Rail) Passenger Demand Forecasting Handbook.
- Worked on the development of the passenger rail forecasting model PRAISE
- Member of European Transport Conference Freight and Logistics Programme Committee (2008)
- Taught on Freight modules and Stated Preference short courses
- Supervised PhD, Masters and Undergraduate dissertations
- Nov 01 - Present Research Officer/Fellow/Senior Research Fellow: Institute for Transport Studies.
- Oct 98 - Nov 01 Labour Market Analyst: Careers Services Unit (CSU).
- Jun 93 - Aug 95 Research Assistant: Department of Economics, Hull University.
- Oct 92 - Jun 94 Economics Tutor: University of Humberside
- Director of Post Graduate Research
Key Research Interests
- Transport Economics
- Wider Economic Impacts of Transport Investment
- Freight and Passenger Demand Modelling
- Stated Preference design and application
Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all research projects allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.
- Hull University: BSc Economics (2:1)
- Essex University: MA Economics
- York University: MPhil (Economics)
Contributes to the following modules:
TRAN5180M: Public Transport Planning and Management
TRAN3031: Public Transport Policy and Practice
Transport Infrastructure and Economic Performance (TIEP)
Research groups and institutes
- Economics and Appraisal
Postgraduate research opportunities
We welcome enquiries from motivated and qualified applicants from all around the world who are interested in PhD study. Our <a href="//environment.leeds.ac.uk/research-opportunities">research opportunities</a> allow you to search for projects and scholarships.