- Position: Senior Research Fellow
- Areas of expertise: Transport Economics; Econometrics; Wider economic impacts; Public Transport
- Email: D.H.Johnson@its.leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 6607
- Location: Room 1.06, Institute for Transport Studies (34-40 University Road)
Research Projects and Experience
- Project Co-ordinator for SMaRTE an EU/Shift2Rail project investigating the scope for enhancements to the rail user experience and vehicle maintenance procedures.
- Working on XCYCLE, an EU project, appraising the value of on-bike safety enhancements
- Worked on NETIRAIL, an EU Project, looking at Wider Economic Impacts of small scale rail enhancements
- Worked on 'Buses and the Economy' project with DfT and Greener Journeys, examining at the link between bus provision, the labour market and productivity.
- Worked on SUSTRAIL, an EU project, evaluating the impact of rail vehicle and infrastructure improvements
- Worked on EPSRC's Sustainable Distribution project, developing a strategic freight model (LEFT) to test the impacts of various policy scenarios on costs and volumes of different modes.
- Design and analysis of Freight part of Department for Transport's M6 Toll Project
- Estimated regional productivity measures for use in appraisal of transport projects for Department for Transport
- Worked on the valuation of rail scarcity for the Office of Rail Regulation
- Developed a computer based implementation of aspects of the (Rail) Passenger Demand Forecasting Handbook.
- Worked on the development of the passenger rail forecasting model PRAISE
- Member of European Transport Conference Freight and Logistics Programme Committee (2008)
- Taught on Freight modules and Stated Preference short courses
- Supervised PhD, Masters and Undergraduate dissertations
- Nov 01 - Present Research Officer/Fellow/Senior Research Fellow: Institute for Transport Studies.
- Oct 98 - Nov 01 Labour Market Analyst: Careers Services Unit (CSU).
- Jun 93 - Aug 95 Research Assistant: Department of Economics, Hull University.
- Oct 92 - Jun 94 Economics Tutor: University of Humberside
- Director of Post Graduate Research
Key Research Interests
- Transport Economics
- Wider Economic Impacts of Transport Investment
- Freight and Passenger Demand Modelling
- Stated Preference design and application
- Hull University: BSc Economics (2:1)
- Essex University: MA Economics
- York University: MPhil (Economics)
Contributes to the following modules:
TRAN5180M: Public Transport Planning and Management
TRAN3031: Public Transport Policy and Practice
Transport Infrastructure and Economic Performance (TIEP)
Research groups and institutes
- Economics and Appraisal