- Position: Lecturer (Teaching and Scholarship)
- Email: A.F.Jopson@its.leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 5333
- Location: Room LG.04, Institute for Transport Studies (34-40 University Road)
- Understanding travel behaviour through Social Psychology,
- Social aspects of transport, e.g., accessibility or older peoples' travel,
- Active travel,
- GIS transport applications,
- Climate and Energy.
- ITS Undergraduate Education Development Coordinator
- See http://www.its.leeds.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/geography-with-transport-planning/ for details of our BA in Geography with Transport Planning (Geography with Transport Studies from 2016).
- GIS and visualisation lead.
Professional Membership & Activities
- Member of The British Psychological Society Division for Teachers & Researchers in Psychology
- Invited speaker at UK conferences on Travel Plans and Car Sharing, and World Conference on Transport Research session chair.
- Reviewing for journal papers, international conference paper selection, and grant proposals; and member of the editorial team for journal special issues.
- Organising international seminars.
This page is being updated.
I have a PostGraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE) and am currently ITS Undergraduate Education Development Coordinator, with specific responsibility for BA Geography with Transport Planning http://www.its.leeds.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/geography-with-transport-planning/.
- Module leader: Case Studies in Sustainable Transport (Undergraduate, Level 3).
- Responsibility for active travel, accessibility planning and GIS related content across a number of Undergraduate and Postgraduate modules.
- Has previously developed and lead profressional development short course.
Masters dissertation supervision. Recent examples:
- Framework for Monitoring and Evaluating Cycling in Sustainable Urban Mobility Plans in Slovenia (Lea Ruzic).
- Car dependency in Western Australia: what role do workplace (destination) factors play in commuter mode choice? (Catherine Wallace).
- Assessing Nicosia's (Cyprus) Car Dependency and Potential Solutions (Irineos Livadiotes).
- Social Status Reasons behind Car Addicts in Jakarta (Ayu Kharisza).
I am happy to consider supervising projects in a range of areas relating to understanding travel behaviour (in the context of Climate and Energy concerns); active travel; and applied Social Psychology methods.
Current and recent PhDs:
- James Musgrave: Promoting Travel Behaviour Change of Attendees at Sport Venues - An Extended Transtheoretical Approach. Key words: travel behaviour change, transtheoretical model, theory of planned behaviour. (Lead supervisor).
- Stephen Parkes: The Longevity of Behaviour Change: A Case Study of the London 2012 Olympic and PAralympic Games. Key words: travel behaviour change, disruption, transtheoretical model. (Co-supervisor).
- Magda Rosario Cepeda Zorrilla: Road User's Perception and Attitudes as a Barrier Against Cycling in Cities: A comparative analysis. Key words: Cycliing, Theory of Planned Behaviour, Social Comparison Theory, Material Possessions Model. (Co-supervisor).
- Julian Burkinshaw: Commuting and the Role of Working Practices. Key words: travel behaviour change, demand, Social Practice. (Co-supervisor).
- Martin Revas Perez: The Dynamics of Access: a study of social exclusion, job opportunities, travel mobilities and developing the Gateshead MetroCentre. Keywords: Accessibility, Exclusion, Mobility, GIS. (Internal examiner).
Research groups and institutes
- Social and Political Sciences