- Position: Lecturer (Teaching and Scholarship)
- Areas of expertise: Transport access and social exclusion; Technologies to support older and disabled people's travel; Pricing and the marginal social costs of transport; Railway and aviation economics
- Email: B.Matthews@its.leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 5341
- Location: Room G.02, Institute for Transport Studies (34-40 University Road)
- Website: LinkedIn
- Senior Research Fellow, Institute for Transport Studies (2005-2018)
- Research Fellow, Institute for Transport Studies (1998-2005)
- Consultant Transport Economist, Steer Davies Gleave (1995-1998)
- Research Assistant, Transpole Lille (1995)
- Chair of the ITS-UK Inclusive Mobility Interest Group (2017- to date)
- DPTAC (2017-2020)
- Member: the Accessibility and Inclusion Forum, CILT, 2012-2014
- Member: the Inclusive Mobility Interest Group (IMIG), ITS-UK, 2009-2014
- Member: Executive Committee of the University Transport Studies Group, 2009-2012
- Expert contributor: the 'Academic Network of European Disability Experts (ANED)', European Commission Directorate General for Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion, 2010
- Expert academic advisor: the Disability Discrimination Act Code of Practice on Transport, Disability Rights Commission, 2004–2005
- Expert academic advisor: the Enquiry into Accessible Transport, New Zealand Human Rights Commission, 2005
- Member of the accessibility advisory committee to the Leeds Supertram, 2001-2005
- Co-editor of Volume 13 in the Research in Transport Economics series, 2005
- Guest co-editor for a special issue of the Transport Policy Journal, 2003
- “The Equity Implications of Smartphones for Disabled People’s Travel Experiences”, NECTAR workshop on Exploring Equity Issues in Transport and Communication Networks, Harrogate, 28-29 September 2012.
- “The Socio-Economic Assessment of Transport Projects”, Rail and Development: A Comparative Approach between France and the United Kingdom, University of Paris Sorbonne, 9–10 May 2012
- “User Charges and Subsidy ',HelsinkiExecutive Summer School,AaltoUniversity(Finland), 9–13 August 2011
- “European Transport Policy – a time to take action”,School of Civic Design Seminar Series,University of Liverpool, 10 March 2010
- “Access to Goods and Services for Disabled People”, Office for Disability Issues Evidence Day, Department for Work and Pensions,London, 19 November 2009
- “Transport and Disabled People”, Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport Seminar Series, Leeds, 9 October 2006
- Invited speaker – National Register of Access Consultants inaugural conference, 2005
- Invited speaker – Implementing the Social Model of Disability seminar series, 2005
- Invited speaker – Disability Rights in Europe conference, 2003
Research Projects and Experience
- Over ten years experience of working on transport research and consultancy projects, encompassing price and user responsiveness, regulatory assessment and user reactions, cost analysis, planning and decision-making processes and investment appraisal.
- Clients include the European Commission, the British Disability Rights Commission, the European Conference of Ministers of Transport, the Community of European Railways, the UK Department For Transport, and a range of UK local authorities.
- Capable of employing both quantitative and qualitative techniques and familiar with relevant software, including Excel and LimDep.
- Considerable experience in project management, including a 3m Euro project comprising 15 partners in 11 countries and a 1.3M Euro project comprising 5 partners in 5 countries.
I am a co-supervisor on integrated ticketing and on accessible travel information. I have previously supervised a PHD on aviation externalities. I also supervise numerous under-graduate and post-graduate dissertations on accessibility, railways and aviation. I welcome expressions of interest in PhD study in any of my areas of expertise.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://environment.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- SUITCEYES - Working on a solution that will give 2.5 million deafblind people a more active part in society.
- Valuation and Appraisal of Accessibility in Rail (VAAR): an appraisal framework for improvements in accessibility for all
- MA Transport Economics – University of Leeds 1994
- BA Economics (2:1) – University of Liverpool 1993
- Chartered Member of the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (CILT) 2012-to date
Research groups and institutes
- Social and Political Sciences