Dr Alexander Stead
- Position: Lecturer in Transport Economics
- Areas of expertise: efficiency analysis; cost modelling
- Email: A.D.Stead@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 7696
- Location: Room LG.06, Institute for Transport Studies (34-40 University Road)
- Website: LinkedIn | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID | White Rose
- 2016-present, m2i Research Fellow in Efficiency Analysis, Institute for Transport Studies, University of Leeds
- 2013-2015, Tutor in Economics, Hull University Business School, University of Hull
Alex’s work focuses on the modelling of costs and efficiency of utilities and other infrastructure firms. Current and recent projects include work on the CQC Efficiency Network, which assesses the cost efficiency of English local authorities’ highway maintenance activities and a project on capital bias in regulated industries.
This project is a partnership between the University of Leeds and Measure 2 Improve (m2i). The Network provides an Annual Efficiency and Value for Money Assessment, building on the CQC Efficiency Model that was developed m2i and the Institute for Transport Studies (ITS) at the University of Leeds using econometric analysis techniques and Highways Maintenance Efficiency Programme (HMEP) funding. The Network measures efficiency, evaluates the likely impact of changes to practice and process and provides a stimulus to realising cost savings by encouraging the adoption of the efficient practices of others.
- PhD in Economics, University of Hull, 2017
- PGCert Research Training, University of Hull, 2015
- MSc(Econ) (Distinction) Economics and Business, University of Hull, 2012
- BSc(Econ) (Hons) Economics, University of Hull, 2010
- International Society for Efficiency and Productivity Analysis (ISEAPA)
Undergraduate and MSc dissertation supervision.
Research groups and institutes
- Economics and Appraisal