Dr Andrew Mark Tomlinson
- Position: Simulator Facilities Manager
- Email: A.Tomlinson@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 7193
- Location: Room 8.235, Physics Research Deck (68 Hillary Place)
I am responsible for managing the day to day operations of the ITS simulation facilities, which comprise a full motion vehicle (car) simulator, a truck simulator and a large pedestrian simulator.
I also play a small role in maintaining and developing the software for the University of Leeds Driving Simulator (UoLDS), to in implementing new simulator features.
I have a teaching role within ITS for 1.5 days/week on average where I am mainly focused on Masters and Undergraduate teaching around Public Transport and in organising field trips and special one-off learning experiences.
As a late arriver in the field of transportation studies my professional background is in software engineering and my role within the driving simulator allows me to combine both interests.
- 2018 to present, Simulator Facilities Manager, Institute for Transport Studies, University of Leeds
- 2014 to 2017, Research Assistant, Institute for Transport Studies, University of Leeds
- 2003 to 2009, Senior IT Project Officer, Kirklees Council, Huddersfield
- 1994 to 2003, Owner and Managing Director of Softmatics Ltd, Software Engineering and Systems House specialising in quality control and quality assurance systems for the world-wide steel manufacturing industry
- 1990 to 1994, Senior Lecturer, The School of Computing and Mathematics, The University of Huddersfield.
- 1984 to 1990, Software engineering roles within various process industries, Sheffield.
- Day to day management of the ITS suite of car, truck and pedestrian simulators
- Some technical development of simulator software and scenarios
- Masters and Undergraduate teaching within ITS
- PhD, Using the Academic Timetable to Influence Student Trip Making Behaviour
- MSc Transport Planning, University of Leeds
- MSc (By Research) Computer Science, University of Manchester
- BSc (Hons) Computer Science, North Staffordshire Polytechnic.
Research groups and institutes
- Human Factors and Safety