Dr James Tate
- Position: Associate Professor
- Areas of expertise: urban air quality; low emission vehicles; vehicle emission remote sensing; transport modelling; emission modelling; big transport telematics data; low emmission zones, strategies and vehicles.
- Email: J.E.Tate@its.leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 6608
- Location: Room 2.16, Institute for Transport Studies (34-40 University Road)
- Website: Twitter | LinkedIn | Researchgate | ORCID
Dr. James Tate is an Associate Professor in ITS, researching the impact of road transport on the environment. He develops and applies new approaches to survey and model the emission performance of the UK/ EU road transport fleet. Innovations include being a UK pioneer of vehicle emission remote sensing and is co-chair of the European Research on Mobile Emission Sources (https://www.ermes-group.eu/) remote sensing working group. He has also advanced the use of detailed emission models, coupled to either traffic microsimulation models, or high resolution telematics data. He uses this evidence base and research capability to design, assess and forecast the impact of policy interventions such as Low Emission and Clean Air Zones, and promote / incentivise Low Emission Vehicles. He is helping shape the UK Air Quality strategy through numerous projects and roles for the European Commission, DEFRA, DfT, Local Authorities, TfL. He gave oral evidence to the Commons Select Committee ‘Vehicle Type Approval - evidence session’. House of Commons, Westminster. 14th Dec 2015.
- Air quality and Health research theme leader
- MSc Programme Leader: Transport Planning and the Environment
Active member of the Priestley International Centre for Climate (climate.leeds.ac.uk) to deliver research to underpin robust and timely climate solutions. Working to develop cleaner and less carbon intensive mobility through research, shaping policy and knowledge sharing.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://environment.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering, University of Nottingham
- MRes Civil Engineering, University of Nottingham
- PhD, University of Leeds
- Charted Institution of Highways & Transportation (CIHT)
I am Programme Leader for the MSc and Postgraduate Diploma in Transport Planning & the Environment.
My teaching is research-led in my chosen field of road transport activity and emissions, urban air quality and health. I teach on both first and semester MSc modules in ITS, but also in other schools: Civil Engineering and School of Earth and Environment.
Research groups and institutes
- Spatial Modelling and Dynamics