Top 20 in the world for Geology and Geophysics, QS World University Rankings by Subject 2021
The School of Earth and Environment has expertise in areas ranging from geology and geophysics, environmental science, meteorology and climate science, to environmental social science together under one roof. We have just over 1,100 students from almost 80 countries studying with us.
The quality of our research, and the funding it attracts, means we’re able to invest in world-class facilities and academic staff who are actively engaged in cutting-edge research, which means you will be taught by internationally renowned, inspirational academics working at the top of their fields.
- 89% overall student satisfaction for Earth Sciences, National Student Survey (NSS) 2020
- 9th in the world for Meteorology and Atmospheric Sciences, CWUR World University Rankings by Subject 2017
- 25th in the world for Atmospheric Science, ShanghaiRanking's Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2021
- 6th in the UK for Earth and Marine Sciences, Guardian University Guide 2021
- 17th in the world for Geology, QS World University Rankings by Subject 2021
- 15th in the world for Geophysics, QS World University Rankings by Subject 2021
- 19th in the world for Earth and Marine Sciences, QS World University Rankings by Subject 2021
- 21st in the world for Earth Sciences, ShanghaiRanking's Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2021
- 11th in the UK for Geography and Environmental Sciences, The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021
- 13th in the UK for Geography and Environmental Sciences, Complete University Guide 2022
- 29th in the world for Environmental Studies, QS World University Rankings by Subject 2021
- 9th in the UK for Geology, Complete University Guide 2022
- 11th in the UK for Geology, The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021
- The University of Leeds is among the top 100 universities, QS World University Rankings 2022
- The University of Leeds was named University of the Year in 2017 by The Times and The Sunday Times’ Good University Guide
- University of Leeds students are among the top 5 most targeted by top employers according to The Graduate Market 2021, High Fliers Research
- We are a member of the Russell Group of research-intensive universities
Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014
The School of Earth and Environment has an excellent reputation for world-class research and innovative teaching. The latest Research Excellence Framework (2014) ranks us 1st in the UK for the quantity of world leading research.
Unit of assessment: Earth Systems and Environmental Sciences
- 3.26 overall quality profile
- 2nd in the UK for research power
- 100% of our research environment is conducive to producing research of ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’ quality
- Over 95% of our research has either ‘outstanding’ or ‘very considerable’ impact
- 90% of our research is ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’
- Over 85% of our research outputs are ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’
To keep up to date with what’s happening in the School follow us on Twitter.