Dr Caroline Mullen
- Position: Senior Research Fellow
- Areas of expertise: mobility planning; sustainability – environmental, social, economic; mobility policy and governance; low carbon travel; political theory
- Email: C.A.Mullen@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 5343
- Location: Room 1.14, Institute for Transport Studies (34-40 University Road)
- Website: Googlescholar | ORCID
Publications: https://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=3TDjiv4AAAAJ&hl=en or scroll down this page
- Programme manager: Sustainability in Transport MSc
- Programme co-manager: Sustainable Cities MSc
- Research Group leader: Social and Political Sciences
Areas of work:
- Understanding travel demand and travel needs.
- Environmental and social justice for sustainable transport, especially walking and cycling.
- Application of political theory to policy and politics of sustainability in transport.
- Governance: particularly theory and application of deliberative and reflexive governance
- Epistemology and research methods
- U-PASS Urban Public Administration and ServiceS innovation for Innovative Urban Mobility Management and Policy
- PhD, School of Law, University of Manchester
- MA, Philosophy, University of Leeds
- BA (Hons), Philosophy, University of Leeds
- The Centre for Research into Energy Demand Solutions (CREDS) - Transport Theme, https://www.creds.ac.uk/
- UK Energy Research Centre (UKERC) Phase 4 https://ukerc.ac.uk/phase/4/
- RACER (Rapid acceleration of Car Emission Reductions), Energy Research Council, (UKERC, 2017-2018)
- Energy poverty and social relations: understanding vulnerability through secondary qualitative analysis, White Rose Collaboration Fund, 2017
- Need, mobility poverty and the ethics of the future cost of mobility: Greg Marsden and Caroline Mullen. Researcher, This is part of the DEMAND Centre: Dynamics of Energy, Mobility and Demand, 2014 - 2017 (ESRC/EPSRC with support from ECLEER (EDF R&D), Transport for London and the International Energy Agency)
- CH4LLENGE: Addressing the four Key Challenges of Sustainable Urban Mobility Planning, 2013-2016 (Co-Funded by Intelligent Energy Europe).
- Disruption: unlocking low carbon travel, Researcher (EPSRC, RCUK Energy).
- Multi-level Governance, Transport Policy and Carbon Emissions Management, Researcher (ESRC)
- Competitive Cities: The Network and Long term impacts of fiscal Management of Transport Demand, Researcher (EPSRC)
- Understanding Walking and Cycling, Researcher (EPSRC)
Teaching and dissertation supervision on Undergraduate and Masters programmes and PhD supervision:
- Sustainability, transport and social and environmental policy,
- Mobility planning
- Mobility justice
- Public participation
- Research methods and epistemology and sustainable futures.
I am happy to discuss PhD proposals on topics including:
- Urban mobility planning
- Walking and cycling
- Social, economic and environmental justice in mobility and transport
Research groups and institutes
- Social and Political Sciences