Dr Caroline Mullen
- Position: Senior Research Fellow
- Areas of expertise: Sustainability, social inclusion and equalities in mobility and transport; mobility planning, mobility policy and governance; active travel and low carbon travel; political theory
- Email: C.A.Mullen@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 5343
- Location: Room 1.14, Institute for Transport Studies (34-40 University Road)
- Website: Googlescholar | ORCID
Publications: https://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=3TDjiv4AAAAJ&hl=en or scroll down this page
- Programme manager: Sustainability in Transport MSc
- School representative on Business, Environment and Social Sciences (AREA) Research Ethics Committee
Areas of work:
- Understanding travel demand, travel needs and transport related social inclusion.
- Environmental and social justice for sustainable transport, especially walking and cycling.
- Application of political theory to policy and politics of sustainability in transport.
- Governance: particularly theory and application of deliberative and reflexive governance.
- Epistemology and research methods
Current Research Projects.
- CoCoMo – How can shared micro mobility (SMM) options best be combined with existing transport systems to increase accessibility for all and add to sustainable transportation solutions?
- The Centre for Research into Energy Demand Solutions (CREDS) - Transport Theme, https://www.creds.ac.uk/people/caroline-mullen/
- UK Energy Research Centre (UKERC) Phase 4 https://ukerc.ac.uk/about/people/caroline-mullen/
- U-PASS Urban Public Administration and ServiceS innovation for Innovative Urban Mobility Management and Policy (no cost extension due to covid)
- RACER (Rapid acceleration of Car Emission Reductions), Energy Research Council, (UKERC, 2017-2018)
- Energy poverty and social relations: understanding vulnerability through secondary qualitative analysis, White Rose Collaboration Fund, 2017
- Need, mobility poverty and the ethics of the future cost of mobility: Greg Marsden and Caroline Mullen. Researcher, This is part of the DEMAND Centre: Dynamics of Energy, Mobility and Demand, 2014 - 2017 (ESRC/EPSRC with support from ECLEER (EDF R&D), Transport for London and the International Energy Agency)
- CH4LLENGE: Addressing the four Key Challenges of Sustainable Urban Mobility Planning, 2013-2016 (Co-Funded by Intelligent Energy Europe).
- Disruption: unlocking low carbon travel, Researcher (EPSRC, RCUK Energy).
- Multi-level Governance, Transport Policy and Carbon Emissions Management, Researcher (ESRC)
- Competitive Cities: The Network and Long term impacts of fiscal Management of Transport Demand, Researcher (EPSRC)
- Understanding Walking and Cycling, Researcher (EPSRC)
- PhD, School of Law, University of Manchester
- MA, Philosophy, University of Leeds
- BA (Hons), Philosophy, University of Leeds
Teaching and dissertation supervision on Undergraduate and Masters programmes :
- Co-design of MSc Sustainable Cities and module leadershipfor Mobility systems, and Research and Methods for Urban Sustainablity Teaching on
- Teaching on: Sustainability, transport and social and environmental policy, Mobility planning, Mobility justice, Public participation, Research methods and epistemology and sustainable futures.
PhD supervision on inclusive mobility, active travel, governance of low carbon mobility transistions, accessible public transport.
I am happy to discuss PhD proposals on topics including:
- Urban mobility planning
- Walking and cycling
- Social, economic and environmental justice in mobility and transport
Research groups and institutes
- Social and Political Sciences