Dr Paul Timms
- Position: Senior Research Fellow
- Areas of expertise: Transferability of policies and models; visioning transport futures; philosophy of models; socialist transport systems
- Email: P.M.Timms@its.leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 6612
- Location: Room 2.02, Institute for Transport Studies (34-40 University Road)
Research Projects and Professional Engagements and Experience
- A large number of research projects concerned with various aspects of transport modelling and transport policy, ranging from traffic signals to world futures.
- A large number of overseas professional engagements including consultancy, research and teaching assignments in Thailand, Vietnam, India, Brazil, Malaysia, Rwanda, Laos, Cambodia, Indonesia, El Salvador, Chile, China and Russia.
- ITS Project Manager of a large number of EU-funded research projects
- Currently supervisor of 8 PhD students (Aug 2018) from Indonesia, Nigeria, Laos, Chile, Brazil (2) and UK (2).
- Fluency in Portuguese (spoken and written)
Key Research Interests
- Future global mobility scenarios and utopias
- Philosophy and history of transport modelling
- Interpretation of modelling concepts as literary concepts
- Transferability of transport policies / models between geographical locations
- Public participation in transport planning
Recent Research Projects
- TrACE (EC H2020 WIDESPREAD) which is setting up a Centre of Excellence in Transport Research in Cyprus (from Sept 2017 until the present): https://www.ciim.ac.cy/entice-projects/trace/
- VIAJEO+ (EC FP7) which examined worldwide transferability (between Asia, Brazil and the EU) of sustainable urban transport policies (between June 2013 and Apr 2016): http://viajeoplus.eu/
- STEP-CHANGE (UK EPSRC) which created new participatory planning and modelling paradigms for situations involving large-scale change, which included workshops and events in Brazil, El Salvador, Italy and UK (between Jan 11 and Jul 2016): http://www.changing-mobilities.org.uk/our-research.html
- BA(Hons) in Mathematics (1974) Oxford University
- MSc in Transport Planning and Engineering (1986), University of Leeds
- PhD in Transport Modelling (1990) University of Leeds
- Module leader and developer of MSc module “Global Transferability of Policies, Models and Methods” (TRAN5232M) (new module from Jan 2017)
- Co-developer and lecturer on MSc Programme “Mathematical Modelling for Transport” (new programme from Sept 2016)
- Module leader of MSc module “Traffic Management” (TRAN5210M).
- Provision of a variety of MSc and undergraduate lectures on various modules
Research groups and institutes
- Spatial Modelling and Dynamics