- Start date: 1 January 2014
- End date: 31 December 2025
- Partners and collaborators: Dr Gareth Keevil, Dr Alan Burns, Dr Luca Colombera, Dr Adam McArthur, Laura Buehrig, Damilola Adekanye, Paul Allen, Marco Carnevale, Adriana Crisostomo Figueroa, Rob Kelly, Alan Pitts, Dan Stokes
- Primary investigator: Adam McArthur and Bill McCaffrey
- Co-investigators: Dr Marco Patacci
- External co-investigators: Dr Lawrence Amy (UCD) and Dr Rob Dorrell (at Hull)
- Postgraduate students: Adriana Crisostomo-Figueroa, Dan Tek, Laura Buehrig, Damilola Adekanye
The Turbidites Research Group (TRG) is a recognized leader in the study and analysis of deep marine clastic sedimentary systems. Based in Leeds University, UK, the group is supported by UK research councils, by other UK governmental funds and by the oil industry worldwide.
The aim of the TRG is to study the flow dynamics and deposits of turbidity currents and related flow types via outcrop studies, flume experiments, seismic studies and theoretical approaches. Improved understanding of the processes involved in deposition leads to a better capacity to predict sand distributions, and characterise reservoir properties.
The industry-funded component of the TRG's work is organised in 3-year phases. The 2014-16 phase was supported by Anadarko, BG, BP, ConocoPhillips, Dana, ENI, Nexen, OMV, Petronas, Shell, Statoil, Tullow, Woodside. The current 2017-19 phase is supported by AkerBP, BP, ConocoPhillips, Equinor, ENI, Hess, Murphy, OMV and Shell.
The TRG is part of Petroleum Leeds, the Centre for integrated Petroleum Engineering and Geoscience, a collaboration between the School of Earth and Environment and the Faculty of Engineering at the University of Leeds. The Fluvial Research Group (FRG) runs in parallel with the TRG.
For further information on the TRG contact: Professor Bill McCaffrey at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Turbidites Research Group comprises Leeds-based workers, externally-based Associates, students and other collaborators. We also enjoy links with other groups from across the world.
Staff from the University of Leeds
Prof Bill McCaffrey - Co-Principal Investigator
Dr Adam McArthur - Co-Principal Investigator
Dr Luca Colombera - Research Fellow
Dr Gareth Keevil - Experimental Officer
Dr Marco Patacci - Associate Research Fellow
Dr Roman Soltan - Research Assistant