13th in the world for Geology and Geophysics, QS World University Rankings by Subject 2020
The School of Earth and Environment has expertise in areas ranging from geology and geophysics, environmental science, meteorology and climate science, to environmental social science together under one roof. We have just over 1,100 students from almost 80 countries studying with us.
The quality of our research, and the funding it attracts, means we’re able to invest in world-class facilities and academic staff who are actively engaged in cutting-edge research, which means you will be taught by internationally renowned, inspirational academics working at the top of their fields.
- 89% overall student satisfaction for Earth Sciences, National Student Survey (NSS) 2020.
- 9th in the world for Meteorology and Atmospheric Sciences, CWUR World University Rankings by Subject 2017
- 24th in the world for Atmospheric Science, ShanghaiRanking's Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2020
- 6th in the UK for Earth and Marine Sciences, Guardian University Guide 2021
- 13th in the world for Geology, QS World University Rankings by Subject 2020
- 13th in the world for Geophysics, QS World University Rankings by Subject 2020
- 14th in the world for Earth and Marine Sciences, QS World University Rankings by Subject 2020
- 11th in the UK for Geography and Environmental Sciences, The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021
- 14th in the UK for Geography and Environmental Sciences, Complete University Guide 2021
- 34th in the world for Environmental Sciences, QS World University Rankings by Subject 2020
- 11th in the UK for Geology, The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021
- 9th in the UK for Geology, Complete University Guide 2021
- The University of Leeds is among the top 100 universities, QS World University Rankings 2021
- We achieved a Gold rating in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) the highest award possible
- The University of Leeds was named University of the Year in 2017 by The Times and The Sunday Times’ Good University Guide
- The latest High Fliers report, The Graduate Market in 2020, has ranked Leeds in the top 10 most targeted universities in the UK by graduate recruiters
- We are a member of the Russell Group of research-intensive universities
Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014
The School of Earth and Environment has an excellent reputation for world-class research and innovative teaching. The latest Research Excellence Framework (2014) ranks us 1st in the UK for the quantity of world leading research.
Unit of assessment: Earth Systems and Environmental Sciences
- 3.26 overall quality profile
- 2nd in the UK for research power
- 100% of our research environment is conducive to producing research of ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’ quality
- Over 95% of our research has either ‘outstanding’ or ‘very considerable’ impact
- 90% of our research is ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’
- Over 85% of our research outputs are ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’
To keep up to date with what’s happening in the School by following us on Twitter.