- Start date: 1 January 2014
- End date: 31 December 2016
- Funder: Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC)
- Primary investigator: Dr Monica Di Gregorio
This research project seeks to understand the extent to which policy processes related to forest mitigation and adaptation should be integrated at different scales in order to deliver effective emission reductions from forest and vulnerability reduction. It will identify existing governance constraints to such integration and explore how they can be overcome.
The study is undertaken in two countries that are at the forefront of REDD+ (reducing emissions from deforestation and forest degradation) policy formulation and contain among the most extensive remaining tropical forest areas in the world.
The proposed research addresses the following questions:
- What is the evidence about the main synergies and trade-offs between forest mitigation and adaptation in Brazil and Indonesia?
- How can multi-level policy processes be integrated in order to better exploit existing synergies between forest mitigation and adaptation (while recognising existing trade-offs)?
- How can existing political constraints to such integration be overcome and existing opportunities for integration be realised?
In investigating multi-level governance processes, this research contributes to the knowledge on multi-level forest governance as well as on climate change mitigation and adaptation. In examining the governance constraints and opportunities for integration, it aims to inform ongoing global and national policy processes about how to improve effectiveness of policy formulation and implementation in order to deliver more effective carbon emission reductions while enhancing adaptive capacity of forest dependent communities.
Co-investigator for this project: postdoctoral researcher Leandra Fatorelli.
Publications and outputs
- Di Gregorio, M., Fatorelli, L., Paavola, J., Locatelli, B., Pramova, E., Nurrochmat, D.R., May, P.H., Brockhaus, M., Sari, I.M., Kusumadewi, S.D. (2019) Multi-level governance and power in climate change policy networks. Global Environmental Change 54, 64-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gloenvcha.2018.10.003
- Di Gregorio M; Nurrochmat DR; Paavola J; Sari IM; Fatorelli L; Pramova E; Locatelli B; Brockhaus M; Kusumadewi SD (2017) Climate policy integration in the land use sector: Mitigation, adaptation and sustainable development linkages, Environmental Science and Policy, 67(January): 35-43 . doi: 10.1016/j.envsci.2016.11.004
- Di Gregorio, M., Nurrochmat, D.R., Fatorelli, L., Pramova, E., Sari, I.M., Locatelli, B. & Brockhaus, M., 2015. Integrating mitigation and adaptation in climate and land use policies in Indonesia: A policy document analysis. Centre for Climate Change Economics and Policy Working Paper No. 245, Sustainability Research Institute Paper No. 90, CIFOR Working Paper No. 199. Leeds, UK and Bogor, Indonesia Center for Climate Change Economics and Policy; Sustainability Research Institute; Center for International Forestry Research.
- Di Gregorio M, Fatorelli, L., Pramova, E, May, P. H., Locatelli, B., Brockhaus, M. 2016. Integrating mitigation and adaptation in climate and land use policies in Brazil: a policy document analysis. Centre for Climate Change Economics and Policy Working Paper No. 257, Sustainability Research Institute Paper No. 94, CIFOR Working Paper No. 194. Leeds, UK and Bogor, Indonesia Center for Climate Change Economics and Policy; Sustainability Research Institute; Center for International Forestry Research.
- Locatelli, B., Pavageau, C., Pramova, E., Di Gregorio, M. 2015. Integrating climate change mitigation and adaptation in agriculture and forestry: Opportunities and trade-offs, WIREs Clim Change, 6(6):585–598. doi: 10.1002/wcc.357
- Pramova, E., Di Gregorio, M., Locatelli, B. 2015. Integrating adaptation and mitigation in climate change and land-use policies in Peru, CIFOR Working Paper 184. Bogor, Indonesia: Center for International Forestry Research. doi: 10.17528/cifor/005624
- Pham, T.T., Moeliono, M., Locatelli, B., Brockhaus, M., Di Gregorio, M., Mardiah, S. 2014. Integration of adaptation and mitigation in climate change and forest policies in Indonesia and Vietnam, Forests, 5, pp.2016-2036. doi: 10.3390/f5082016