- Start date: 1 October 2018
- End date: 1 July 2020
- Funder: NERC
- Partners and collaborators: UK Met Office, Red Cross 510 Initiative, Malawi Red Cross Society, Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (LUANAR) Malawi
- Primary investigator: Prof Stephen Whitfield
- Co-investigators: Professor Andy Dougill, Dr Marta Bruno Soares
- External co-investigators: Austin Tibu
IPACE-Malawi will investigate the impacts of extreme weather events on agricultural systems and contribute to improving the forecasting and delivery of agriculture-specific weather information to improve preparedness of farmers' and humanitarian/disaster response organisations. Through a stakeholder-led process, the project will identify critical agro-climatic drought and flood indicators in three districts of central and southern Malawi, test the skill of short term to seasonal forecast tools in simulating these indicators; and co-design agricultural climate services based on these indicators/forecast tools.